Moline Memories - MHS 66 Friends






Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Line O' Type Student Newspaper




We had print shop, where we learned the valuable skill of setting up type manually, upside down and backwards. That resume item sure saved me from a life of poverty.

The Moline Dispatch donated a few lineotype machines to the school. They impressed us with their speed at melting down lead type and refashioning it at record speed, filling the air with heavy metal fumes.

The student newspaper was named after that fabulous invention. Before that, newspapers were rather small, no larger than eight pages. Afterward the invention, they could reach massive size.


At Coolidge I learned how to carve a picture out of a block of linoleum to use as an illustration in our student newspaper. I did not draw. I just carved. Needless to say, I omitted that skillset from my journalism school application.

No comments:

Post a Comment