Moline Memories - MHS 66 Friends






Saturday, February 6, 2010

M - O - L - I - N - E !
Mary Gail Laverenz




Do you remember Mary Gail Laverenz back-flipping across the basketball court at Wharton Field House as the crowd spelled out M - 0 - L - I - N - E !

The roar of the crowd was deafening.

A photo would be great.

I recall at the time that only one other person did the same acrobatic cheer, Joline from Moline. I have no other information than that vague memory.

I found Mary Gail's name listed for a birthday at Trinity Lutheran Church, Moline. Let me know if I have the right person.

She is on the cast recording of this Broadway show.

Wharton had that monstrous scoreboard hanging over the court. Now it is gone. Who can forget how it blocked the view and seemed to limit play?




5 comments:

  1. I remember! I took dance from Joline and was in Mary Gail's class often. She lived 2 or 3 doors down from Garfield. The only picture of Mary Gail I have is one of all of the 9th grade cheerleaders from John Deere Jr. High.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg--Mary Gail's birthday is probably correct. She and I were born a few days apart at Moline Public Hospital and shared the nursery. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup - she fired up the crowd - as Diane Krebill looked on....but Diane Krebill had it over Mary Gail, because Diane was Kuberski's girlfriend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from MHS 68, but being a 3 year Pep Club member, I hope I can comment. It was G-R-E-A-T-! Nothing had been seen like that before Mary Gail. Now cheerleaders do so much more, but they have 25 kids on a team, not just 5. Diane might have gotten Kuberski, Mary Gail had legs fit for the Rockette's along with Jan M (67) Go Moline.
    Judy Wesenberg-Lemke, Omaha NE

    ReplyDelete