Moline Memories - MHS 66 Friends






Thursday, January 21, 2010

WQUA - Jack Barlow - Country Singer






 
Jack Barlow (nee Butcher) looked like this at WQUA.



 





Jack Barlow recorded this song in 1975.

Jack Barlow CD.

This one is famous: I'd Rather Fight Than Switch.

He also recorded novelty songs under the name Zoot Fenster. According to the comments from his son, the Zoot name was invented by Elvis' drummer.


---

Anonymous Dave wrote:

"Jack is still alive and living near Nashville. He's had some back operations and doesn't get around as fast as he used to, but he's still got that tremendous voice. He doesn't record any longer, but still does voice-overs. Some of his more notable ones are Bob Evans Farms, Wrigley Big Red Gum, and Chunky Soups. If memory serves me correctly, he's in his 90s."


5 comments:

  1. It is good to find this site. I replaced Jack when he went to Nashville at the Red Fox in Rock Island IL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ed. I remember Jack Barlow and Adam Jones best of all from WQUA. I am glad you like this site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ..I always enjoyed Jacks Singing never got to meet him..... But I'd Rather Fight Then Switch was "WONDERFUL"

    Bill Sterling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill. I am glad I got to see him many different times. I did not know until I began blogging about Moline that he did so much in music and in commercial voice-overs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack Barlow ! Man that goes back a long time. There was a band called the Tune Drifters Oscar Kuffler and Dale Wenger had this band.Jack Barlow would come over to Dales house when they would have Jam sessions Iwas ther most of the time, GREAT TIMES. Also Jack and his band used to play at Wells Fargo. Ialso remember when yhe Buck Dealer was downtown Moline .Jack sat in the front window of this place to break a record on how long He could stay awake. Dont remember how he did Used to watch him play and sing almost every weekend. This was in 1953-1954? Great times Jimmie D.

    ReplyDelete