Moline Memories - MHS 66 Friends






Monday, December 28, 2020

MHS 66 at Yale University


Yale Divinity School - Lawrence Eyre and I went there. Lawrence is a Whiffenpoof, the famous singing fraternity for undergraduates. I did eat lunch at Morey's once, the closest I got to being in a singing group.



Roland Bainton, author of Here I Stand, A Life of Martin Luther.



Yale Library - Roland Bainton had an office there. We went to meet him some years after finishing an STM. He helped me with my dissertation and offered to do some xeroxing for me! Anne Johnson-Zander earned a master's degree in music at Yale, so three of us from the Garfield Elementary School, MHS 66, earned degrees there.




Campanologists love the Harkins bell tower.

National Review has a report on universities, which prompted the nostalgia above. Yale College costs $57,000 for tuition and fees. Add on room and board! The top rated universities were in the same category, $50,000+ for tuition and fees.

Every college and university (with rare exceptions - like Purdue) raised prices as if the debt engine would never run out of gas.


Anton Boisen studied forestry at Yale. No, I am not kidding. Now it is the School of Environmental Studies, though forestry is easier to spell.  Boisen made his mark by championing chaplains at hospitals and similar institutions. The idea was to help people by integrating their illness with Christian care, an idea similar to the Inner Mission, which promoted nursing care and hospitals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment