Moline Memories - MHS 66 Friends






Saturday, February 27, 2010

Moline Boys Choir - Fred Swanson


Linda Nelson Pearson scanned this from a program. I added some color so you can find her son. Left-click for a much better view of the photo.



Moline Boys Choir at the St. Louis arch.



The Moline Boys Choir has been famous for many years.

I remember Dr. Fred Swanson auditioning us in the dreary basement of Garfield. Needless to say, I did not make the cut. I remember Larry Eyre, Bruce Johnson, and Greg Keller joining. I think Larry was a Whiffenpoof at Yale, too.

The choir has a Facebook page with a faded photo on it. Good grief - they can do better than that for a famous Moline institution. At the moment I cannot find an old photo of the choir or one of Fred Swanson.

Initial searching showed that Fred Swanson graduated from Augustana College and had a big impact on music in the Quad-Cities. I hope to post more in the future, with some help from Moliners.

From Moline Boys Choir to Jim Bakker.

2 comments:

  1. I was a member of the original boys' choir. I believe Dr. Swanson started the choir in the late 40s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The choir gave me much. It gave me, a rather troubled and depressed little kid, a place where my gifts in music didn't make me a weird little piano-playing mutant, and wasn't made fun of because I liked to play and sing classical music. I still use the tools I was given, which not only enhanced my musical skills, they helped me learn to live life more effectively and confidently. I am overjoyed that the choir is still there for both those who just enjoy music, and for those who need to help them figure out relation the world, and their life.

    ReplyDelete